EIC Accelerator H2020
Up to €2.5 million as a grant
Horizon 2020´s EIC Accelerator is a European Commission programme for the most innovative SMEs.
The aim of the EIC Accelerator is to transform disruptive ideas into concrete, innovative solutions with a European and global impact.
- Company may employ up to 250 people with a maximum annual turnover of € 50 million.
- A company may apply alone or participate in a consortium with business partners.
- The full definition of SME provided by the European Commission is available at:
Disruptive innovation changes the rules of existing markets or creates new ones.
The project should solve a particular problem and there should be a real market demand for the solution.
Technology readiness levels are used to describe the maturity of technological solutions.
TRL 6 means that the technology has been demonstrated in an operational environment. There should be a working prototype that has been successfully tested.
Your should demonstrate that you’ve been unable to leverage sufficient investment from the market due to the high risk of your project.
As long as you’ve been deemed ‘non-bankable’ by the market in view of your project you can apply for funding, whether you are a start-up or a company with 20 years of experience.
2014-2019 SME Instrument Phase 2
2019-2020 EIC Accelerator Pilot
The European Innovation Council (EIC) Accelerator Pilot (SME Instrument) offers funding in the form of a grant or blended finance (a mix of grant and equity investment)
funding up to
- 70% funding as a grant
- Demonstration activities: testing, prototyping, design, scaling-up, miniaturization and pilot actions
- Preparation for commercialization
- Communication activities
- TRL 6 – TRL 8 activities
funding up to
- No specific timing
- Equity funding
- Preparation for market introduction
- TRL 9 activities
- Time adjusted individually
- No direct funding
- Support is provided through assistance in accessing to venture capital and other EU financial instruments and innovation support
- Free business coaching
- Participation in events